Gbolade Design Studio is seeking an architect to join its team in London.
Gbolade Design Studio is an award-winning architecture practice and sustainability consultancy that specialises in residential and mixed-use developments for public and private sector clients in urban and suburban settings, through design and insight-led place-making. We also like to do things a bit differently. At Gbolade Design Studio, there’s no corporate nonsense, and no old-fashioned hierarchy or micro-management; instead, we work as a self-sufficient, yet integrated, team of associates.
About the job
We are currently looking to engage an architect to join our dynamic team. The ideal candidate will have excellent design skills and construction knowledge with a strong focus on sustainable design (or at least a willingness to develop expert knowledge in this); and the ability to take a leading role in delivering projects with excellence in design and sustainability. GDS have a strong residential and mixed-use portfolio, so the role will have a focus on feasibility and developed design stage work; detailed design; strategic visions & master planning; contributions to bid works; as well as supporting members of the design team with ongoing schemes and GDS design guides. The scale of current projects ranges from new-build housing schemes to significant regeneration schemes, and community-led projects with placemaking as a core value.
About how we work
This is a full-time or part-time, contract position working Monday to Friday; with a physical meeting day one to two days per week. We adopt a flexible work-from-wherever-you-like approach, with an expectation for weekly in-person contact in our London office in Waterloo (currently one day per week on Thursdays).
We offer opportunities in every aspect of project development, from concept and planning stages, through to project completion. The successful candidate will also be given the opportunity to be involved in the future growth of the business. We strongly believe in career growth and mentorship, as well as employee wellbeing: these are fundamental to the ethos of our studio. Shortlisted candidates will receive a copy of our ‘GDS Vision’ to ensure they sign-up to our working culture.
Key responsibilities include:
- design concepts and research (RIBA Stage 1-3); taking the lead on concept-driven projects, which will involve sketch/concept designs, preparation of explanatory diagrams
- development and production of planning application proposals and associated design and access statement documents
- leading with the design, delivery, coordination, and administration of the ongoing RIBA stage 4-6 plan of work stages along with preparation of low-carbon construction details and on-site administration duties
- leading and contributing to GDS-specific R&D and design codes and project templates
The ideal candidate will have:
- five to ten years’ UK work experience post Part 2
- three years’ minimum on-site experience
- led projects from commencement to completion
- managed project consultant teams including structural/MEPH/specialist consultants
- excellent job-running and site experience at all RIBA stages
- excellent technical knowledge
Requisite skills and qualities:
- proficiency in ArchiCAD (BIM software) is key
- proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign and Photoshop
- proficiency in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office
- able to enthusiastically present ideas as they emerge to clients, collaborators, and non-professionals
- curious in acquiring new digital skills and implantation of digital applications within the studio
- a portfolio that demonstrates enthusiasm for furthering your knowledge
- enjoy working both in a team environment and independent, taking ownership of the tasks
- high standard of visual communication and presenting ideas
- have an interest in technical detailing and materiality
- visual presentation know-how and ability
- a professional attitude to time management and delivery
Location: remote; the candidate will ideally be London/Greater London based with a requirement to attend weekly team meetings in the Central London area; and site/client-based meetings as required by the project.
Time Commitment: flexible working hours / times to suit the right candidate: across Monday to Friday
Contract rate: competitive rate commensurate with seniority and experience.
Starting date: immediately, if possible
Submission: we ask that you submit your CV along with a portfolio (no more than 10Mb), both in PDF format, via the ‘apply’ link below.
Submission deadline: Friday, 4th June 2021