Out of the Valley is seeking an architect/designer to join its team in Devon, UK.
Architect Part 2/designer
Out of the Valley create buildings, furniture and interiors that connect people with the rhythms of nature. Working with the beauty and durability of wood, our design-led structures invite a transformative return to a simpler way of living and a renewed affinity with the land. Uniting modern construction methods with a deep respect for traditional craftsmanship, everything we make is designed to endure and bring joy for generations to come.
We are a small vibrant and expanding team with an exciting set of projects in the pipeline. In this unique role you will be an integral part of the design process, from concept illustrations to renders and construction design packages. We are looking for a competent, all-rounder with a broad knowledge base and experience in small to medium projects, our work varies from off-grid cabins to floating saunas and treehouses and lots in between. Your role will also involve project management and procurement.
Out of the Valley is not a traditional architectural practice and you will be involved in many disciplines, projects and roles. Hands-on architecture.
- university degree with a Part 2 architecture qualification (or equivalent)
- proficiency in AutoCAD (or equivalent), Adobe Creative Suite and SketchUp
- excellent drawing and illustration skills, both hand and digital
- knowledge in UK building regulations and planning policy
- to work on concept presentations, building regulations and planning applications
- consideration of materials and costs according to set budgets
- good understanding of using timber in construction
- experience in preparing detailed working drawings, technical detailing, designs, plans, schemes and drawing packages
- work with an attention to detail and have a keen interest in new and emerging green materials and processes to adopt into the practice
- have an interest in off-grid principles and how these can be integrated into buildings
- able to be responsible for managing varied projects personally as well as part of a small team
- diligent in finding and pursuing the right design solution
- populate and help manage project management software and keep projects on track by monitoring workload and providing solutions to ensure targets are met
- design in projects to make full use of machinery/workshop capacity
- help evolve processes and systems to streamline workflow where possible
Aims and Goals:
- achieve drawing deadlines within priced hours
- build efficient processes into the workflow
- minimise mistakes by checking key build stages and sign off work
- further develop our production range of products
- design cabins and furniture to the highest quality and have a passion for it
Dependant on experience.
Permanent position subject to initial six-month probationary period.
This role will keep you busy and every day will be different. It requires a positive and enthusiastic individual who is comfortable playing a key role in this design and make workshop.
Candidates must provide a portfolio of work and CV to be assessed. To submit your application please click the ‘apply’ button below.
This position is only available to applicants based in the United Kingdom.