Martin Brudnizki Design Studio is seeking an FF&E designer to join its team in London.
The position will offer a high level of responsibility working on multiple high-end hospitality and residential projects. There are several designers in the studio and the projects are divided between them. The FF&E designers are members of the Design Studio Team (DST) alongside the associates, senior designers and junior designers. This team will carry out the works associated with MBDS’ service offering.
The FF&E designer will be supporting the team and will work in tandem with other designers in the studio. This person will be fully immersed at all levels of the design process on a daily basis via their own projects, taking ownership and responsibility of their own workload, while using their initiative and creative skills to solve problems and meet deadlines. An excellent understanding of all areas of furniture, product, interior architecture and design is essential. Further, a comprehensive understanding of construction technology is imperative as well as knowledge of current building regulations. Since the position includes communication with client representatives and other project team consultants, a high level of verbal and written communication skills are a must.
An extremely high-level of AutoCAD and Microsoft Office is key. Additional computer programme skills would be an advantage, such as InDesign and Adobe Creative Suite.
Design and creative:
- running FF&E projects from concept to completion at ALL levels of design and production. This includes assisting the FF&E project’s design program, by using their knowledge of design timelines and deliverables.
- understanding the client brief and senior staff’s vision for the project and implementing it into the concept design
- assisting the project designer with site visits and queries
- suggesting appropriate materials and finishes, using the individual’s experience/knowledge of different suppliers
- knowledge of furniture, lighting, ironmongery and sanitary ware manufactures and their suitability for the project
- feasibility and commercial viability of the design
- assist with sourcing furniture, ironmongery and sanitary ware, by investigating and contacting new and innovative supplier/manufacturers
- recording, collating and distributing any supporting technical documentation
- research and engage new suppliers and manufacturers, keeping the team updated with new materials, lighting, ironmongery and sanitary ware products
- schedule FF&E budgeting for the project
- represent MBDS to clients, contractors, suppliers
- being responsible for all FF&E documentation for the project, including drawings, schedules and specifications
- assisting with the concept design and presentation by helping with image sourcing, 3D sketching and modeling, Photoshop editing and setting up/printing presentation boards and booklets
- compiling and promptly issuing meeting minutes
- understanding the project health and safety procedures and ensuring the correct documentation is complete
- be aware of general handbook policies
- mentoring junior members within the team
- supporting the general wellbeing of the team and its productivity
- supply the CT with project information (i.e. completion date, concept design and site information
- work with the art and graphic design lead to ensure the Studio presentation backgrounds are developed and consistently applied for client deliverables
- communicate with AT (to include other members of the DMT and BMT if necessary) on any requirements related to the support tasks for the Studio (support tasks are noted as travel bookings, couriers, stationary, meeting scheduling, video conferencing organisation etc.)
- provide holiday (or other) coverage for any other FF&E designers
- two-six years of experience in either hospitality or residential design and be experienced with running jobs; either large scale residential, hotels or restaurant roll-outs
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- basic knowledge of UK regulations relating to industry design standards
- good knowledge of joinery, detailing, furniture & construction is imperative
- awareness of current style trends/industry
- eye for colour/materials
- 3D spatial awareness
- feasibility and commercial viability of the design
- some site experience
- good knowledge of MBDS CAD standards
- awareness of MBDS health and safety procedures
- Microsoft Office
- 3D Studio Max
- Strong free-hand sketching abilities
- work well under pressure and to timelines
- work well independently as well as part of a team
- problem solver/creative solutions
- good initiative
- able to follow instructions
This description reflects the core activities of this role but is not intended to be all-inclusive. From time to time, other duties within the department or studio may be requested and/or required in addition to changes in the priority of duties listed. Therefore, the role may require a level of flexibility in its approach. Job descriptions will be reviewed regularly and where necessary revised in accordance with studio needs. Any major changes will be discussed with the employee in situ at the time.
Please submit a CV and portfolio samples using the ‘apply’ link below.
Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only be responding to candidates that meet the above credentials. No agencies please.