Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) are hiring a lecturer in architecture to join their architecture and design department in Suzhou, China.
Lecturer in Architecture
- department: Architecture and Design
- academic discipline: architecture
- position title: Lecturer
- location: Suzhou campus
- salary: 22,260 – 24,610RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 27,514RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in post)
- position open date: 2020/2021
- advertisement closing date: 30 June 2020
- job ID: 996162
- contract type: three year contract, renewable. Third contract is open-ended.
University and department overview:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has almost 15,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU is research-led and has committed significant investment into research development. Only twelve years after its launch, the University has already climbed to the 79th position in China on the QS ranking (out of about 3,000 Universities in the country) and is quickly emerging as a model higher education institution in China.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Department of Architecture is part of a young Sino-British university in the greater Shanghai area on a vibrant campus with state of the art facilities. Committed to excellence in education and research, the Department of Architecture at XJTLU has achieved significant milestones in the recent past and is experiencing a rise in attention and student numbers. The Bachelor and postgraduate programme received international validation from the Royal British Institute of Architects (RIBA). The department is seeking new members for its international faculty to support its high ambitions. Its mission is to create new models of architectural education, research and practice, firmly rooted in both East and West. The Department of Architecture nurtures a climate of open architectural discourse with a firmly established tolerance of views and positions, where risk taking and speculative experiments can flourish.
Applications are invited in all areas of architecture and architectural design. Experience or proven interest in the Chinese/Asian context is an advantage. Applications from candidates with specific experience in architectural education in the undergraduate of postgraduate programs, demonstrating innovative skills and methods of design pedagogy, are welcome. Contributions to the administration of the department and the university are expected.
The Department cultivates a learning environment that fosters independent, innovative and responsible designers with a thoughtful and imaginative approach to space making. We recruit students from amongst the top 5% of high school students. Synergy with the University of Liverpool leads the department to also recruit from overseas, ensuring a diverse student body. Our students benefit from the dynamic atmosphere of the department, due to its engagement with the vibrant architecture and construction context of Suzhou and the wider region, as well as its involvement in live projects, competitions, conferences, and other academic institutions and events. You can find more information about the university through the following web link. https://www.xjtlu.edu.cn/en/departments/academic-departments/architecture/
Responsibilities and duties:
- teach one design studio and taught module a semester including students academic mentoring
- research through classic academic realm via research projects, innovations and publication or via architectural practice or art in architecture
- service to support the administrative side of the department, school and the university or extra curricula activities for students, staff, discipline
- complete PG Certification unless already holding one teaching certification or similar
- participation in departmental activities and administrative life.
- typical split of teaching: research: service is 40:40:20.
- PhD in architecture with two years of teaching experience
- master degree in architecture with minimum of two years practice and education experience
- fluent in English
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Generous, multi-year income ‘tax holiday’ may apply to non-Chinese passport holders, depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and visa regulations:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application by clicking the ‘apply’ button below. Please include the position you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- a statement about teaching experience in higher education; research experience, publications to date, and a research plan; and any evidence of administrative and managerial competence
- portfolio of teaching and practice if relevant
- a current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- contact details for three references
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal inquiries may be addressed to the staff management team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.