Arney Fender Katsalidis is looking for a project lead architect to join its practice in London.
We are looking for a project lead architect, with proven in-depth experience in managing and delivering large-size residential projects, to join our vibrant London studio. The right candidate will have proven experience in delivering complex projects, with emphasis on stage 4 technical delivery.
Experience in project and client management within a defined fee budget and programme and the ability to speak fluently and communicate effectively in written reports and oral presentations are fundamental.
Commencement: January 2021
Reporting to: director
Date: December 2020
Arney Fender Katsalidis enable people to live, work and play better. We do this by creating beautiful buildings and inspirational interiors. Located in the heart of Shoreditch we are a boutique global design firm with an integrated approach to architecture, interiors and art, operating across five regions.
With our sister firms, Arney Fender Katsalidis has a quarter century of collective, award-winning experience. However, we are young at heart and nimble of mind. We have a specific focus on residential, hotel, workplace and cultural sectors to ensure we are specialists in what we do.
We do not strive to be the largest global practice and work on every project. We do, however, strive to deliver the world’s best projects. We purposefully focus the size of our firm to create rich ground for fostering deep client relationships and ensuring the accessibility of our directors. This continuous connectivity of directors throughout the life of our projects is a fundamental platform from which our firm is built.
Arney Fender Katsalidis has projects across Canada and in the USA, UK, Middle East, Asia and Australia and have a specific focus on residential, hotel, workplace and cultural sectors to ensure we are specialists in what we do.
We are looking for a project lead to join our team on a large residential scheme developing drawings to RIBA Stage 4, technical design.
You will provide expertise and leadership, by giving clients an excellent service both on design and delivery, continually providing design solutions, improving design quality, representing AFK architecture design to clients and the design community, mentoring designers in their careers and working profitably for the firm.
The right candidate will have proven experience in delivering complex projects, with emphasis on stage 4 technical drawings and regulatory requirements. Experience in project and client management within a defined fee budget and programme and the ability to speak fluently and communicate effectively in written reports and oral presentations are fundamental.
Main responsibilities include:
- assisting with a number of projects at any one time with responsibility for preparing sketch designs, planning drawings, layouts and other details as required
- working across RIBA Stages 3 and 4 including project delivery, design assurance and working with clients and contractors and other outside designers
- preparing robust and exemplar project information
- carry assignments to completion with considerable independence in accordance with project objectives, professional standards, policies and procedures
- assisting in the preparation of design statements and other documents in support of the planning application or appeal
- prepare and develop design proposals under supervision, through sketch imagery, study models and appropriate digital media
- understanding the design process, ensuring that developing ideas are founded in a rigorous approach and a detailed understanding of the constraints and opportunities that influence a project
- demonstrate an ability to progress design thinking
- operate within the company’s compliance standards to manage commercial and project risks
- attending meetings with planning officers and other interested parties in support of planning applications
- assisting with preparation of feasibility studies for project appraisals
- ensure that agreed tasks are completed before exploring alternatives
- storyboard and programme key tasks to manage the expectations of others
- manage your time, analysing tasks, understanding what is required, identifying with your supervising colleagues the optimal method of delivery that makes the best use of resources to meet deadlines efficiently, working well under pressure
- oversee discussions and meetings with clients, consultants, contractors and statutory, recording relevant matters and reporting to supervising colleagues
- making day to day suggestions relating to design and technical issues
- using discretion as to which matters are referred to a higher level for decision
- understand consultant appointments and their scope of work
- liaise with clients on day to day matters reporting to your project director
- ensuring that all designs prepared are both cost effective, within agreed budgets and comply with current statutory requirements
- demonstrable ability to use initiative
- the ability to work under pressure in order to meet deadlines is essential
- expected to be flexible in keeping with the responsibilities of the position which may include working additional unpaid hours at busy times
- excellent communication skills, written and oral, with the ability to liaise effectively with a range of other professionals
- sound analytical skills, accuracy, and attention to detail
- good organisational and negotiation skills
- strong teamwork and leadership skills
- discretion is vital at all times as the job holder will have access to certain confidential information, mainly relating to potential site acquisitions
Qualifications and skills/experience:
- degree in architecture, RIBA
- extensive experience leading projects with emphasis on technical side – in-depth knowledge of regulations, statutory requirements, BREEAM, and all other elements related to large scale residential projects
- strong design skills with a strong imagination and the ability to think and create in three dimensions
- must have an accurate working knowledge of the relevant regulations, including UK building regulations and ensure that designs comply with the requirements of the approval authorities
- advanced skills in Rhino Design and parametrics
- advanced digital skill set, including Rhino, Revit, PhotoShop and InDesign
Our core values:
- creativity and imagination – creating innovative solutions that exceed expectations
- excellence in reputation – being part of something special
- being pioneers – achieving the unachievable
- spirit to win – enabling our clients and people to succeed
- a place to flourish – hard work and continuous self-improvement
Applications should be submitted with a cover letter and a link to digital portfolio.
We are looking for direct applications from candidates who are available for an immediate start, ideally in January. Agencies should refrain from sending speculative CV’s at this stage.
Arney Fender Katsalidis is an equal opportunities employer.