Situ Plan is seeking an urban designer to join its team in Reading, UK.
Working directly with the managing director, you will have the opportunity to take a leading role on a variety of projects ranging from large scale strategic frameworks through to urban design and architectural scale masterplanning developments, both in the UK and internationally. Key deliverables would include programming and analysis, conceptual design through to final design and supporting graphics and reports. To achieve this, innovation and creative thinking are key elements of the role along with strong organisational and communication skills.
You will be working alongside our established teams of landscape architects and architects and as such a collaborative approach would be required.
Additional activities would include:
- collaboration with external design teams, clients, consultants and local/regional government bodies
- development of conceptual and developed designs
- preparation of reports and presentations with exceptional graphic quality and the communication of key narratives including the design process, research and the overarching design concept
- production of design codes as required
- production of drawings in Illustrator, Photoshop or CAD
- presentations to clients and key stakeholders
You will need to be an energetic and ambitious urban designer with a passion for design and a desire to continue to learn, develop and experiment with new design techniques and creative processes. A can-do attitude and a hard worker along with a sense of fun would fit into the existing team setup well.
Additional skills would include:
- a degree in urban design, landscape architecture or architecture (masters preferred)
- two to three years of professional experience
- experience of supporting or leading complex projects
- excellent graphics skills (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and PowerPoint)
- strong ability with AutoCAD
- good skills with 3D visualisation software
- an understanding of GIS software would be beneficial
- excellent organisational skills
- strong written and verbal communication skills
- confidently present work to clients and colleagues
- hand drawing skills an advantage
- a willingness to travel if required
Whilst this job specification outlines the fundamental role, the opportunity to grow and develop in the studio is strong with the successful candidate given the flexibility to shape their future within the company.
A competitive salary is on offer commensurate with experience, along with a range of staff benefits (including day-to-day commuting costs) and an attractive pension scheme.
The successful candidate will need:
- eligibility to work in the UK without sponsorship
- a portfolio of a wide selection of work, from concept and developed designs through to examples of presentations and reports
Situ Plan has been established as a specialist strategic planning, landscape design, urban design and architecture consultancy, led by managing director Nick Sweet, former partner at Barton Wilmore LLP.
The team at Situ have a significant reputation and extensive experience in the creation and delivery of projects in the UK, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and America. Our integrated approach, supported by a comprehensive understanding of the full development process, positions the Situ team at the forefront of design thought and the creation of sustainable solutions for the 21st century.
Based in Reading, the studio is located just 25 minutes from London Paddington station and is easily accessible from other key hubs by train and car. The office is ideally situated in an area that has benefited from significant regeneration.
Please submit your CV and portfolio to our studio manager – Charlotte Chatfield using the ‘apply’ link below.
Situ Plan is an equal opportunities employer.
Candidates who do not meet the criteria or provide work samples will not be considered.